What is NESL ?
A set of libraries for Silverlight developers that allow them to access some really cool features of Windows 7 from their Silverlight applications through COM automation (wrapper classes).
- Take advantage of sensors like accelerometers, light sensors, compasses, GPS etc.
- Access content from connected portable devices like music players and digital cameras.
- Capture and create video from webcams and screen output
- Use speech recognition and text to speech capabilities.
- Integrate with the Windows 7 taskbar (Jump Lists, Icon Overlays, Taskbar Progress etc.)
- And more as long as COM object…
This is my favorite feature in Silverlight as it give access to many cool features in Windows 7, Sensor API, Speech API, Devices API, Taskbar Integration, Webcam local encoding, Window capture, Windows message interception. You can download and try sample apps that utilized those features and build your next gen SL apps.
What is available for download?
Standalone MSI installer for the native runtime
- Use to deploy NESL
- Source code for Silverlight wrapper libraries
- Source code for sample applications
- API Documentation
- MSI installer for native runtime
You can download NESL it here : http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/nesl
Cheers – RAM.